Ely Outfitting Company Policies – Deposits, Cancellations and Liability Release
OUR #1 POLICY
Do our best to ensure your successful Boundary Waters canoe trip.
Deposit for Outfitting or Guide Services: A deposit of $100 per group is required for canoe and equipment rentals, partial outfitting packages, and professionally guided day trips. A deposit of $100 per person is required for complete outfitting packages and professionally guided camping trips. Dorothy Molter Experience, Women in Wilderness, and Layne Kennedy Photo Workshop guided group trips require a deposit payment of half the trip price.
Deposit for BWCAW Permit: A permit deposit of $48 is required for Ely Outfitting Co. to reserve your required entry permit with up to one alternate permit holder. BWCAW entry permit fees are $16 per adult per trip and $8 per youth per trip. BWCAW permit fees paid when reserving the permit are: (1) the total permit fees for the permit holder and up to three alternate permit holders (or a minimum fee of $32), plus (2) a nonrefundable $6 USFS reservation fee (per permit), plus (3) a nonrefundable $10 permit acquisition fee (per permit) when Ely Outfitting Company reserves your entry permit.
Deposits paid are deducted from the total amount due on your final trip invoice.
CANCELLATIONS AND EARLY RETURNS
- Outfitting and guide service deposits are fully refundable within seven days of the deposit payment.
- For self-guided trips, cancellations at least 14 days before a trip start date are refunded the outfitting deposit, less a $50 service fee. No outfitting deposits are refunded for cancellations less than 14 days before the trip start date.
- For professionally guided trips, outfitting and guide service deposits are not refundable and not transferable to a different date. This policy reflects the significant burden of cancellations on professional guide staff. We suggest considering independent travel insurance for professionally guided trips.
- For entry permit deposits, $16 is nonrefundable when Ely Outfitting Co. reserved the permit. If the permit cancellation is less than two days before the entry date, then no permit fees are refundable.
- No refunds or credits are provided for late arrivals or early returns.
- Dorothy Molter Experience, Women in Wilderness, and Layne Kennedy Photo Workshop guided group trip deposits are not refundable and not transferable to a different year due to the extremely limited group sizes. We suggest considering independent travel insurance due to the nonrefundable nature of these deposits. Final nonrefundable payment is due 30 days before the trip.
Complete Outfitting and Partial Outfitting Package rates are significantly discounted and reflect the nature of shared camping equipment in the packages. Therefore, to obtain package pricing, the entire group must be outfitted with the package to receive the discounted package pricing. Solo travelers add 15% to outfitting package rates (except the fishing pole package). For outfitting packages that include a canoe, parties are typically outfitted with two-seat and three-seat canoes. Guests may request one solo canoe per outfitting package group at no extra charge. If more than one solo canoe is requested, each additional solo canoe adds $10 per solo canoe per day.
ONE DAY CANOE RENTALS
Canoe rental reservations for a one calendar day rental are only available on the day of the rental or one day earlier, and based on availability.
Payment in full is due before trip departure. We accept cash in US dollars, checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
All guests must sign a Liability Waiver and Trip Participation Agreement.
As a contemporary outfitter, we welcome and encourage guests of all backgrounds and abilities.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. This institution is an equal opportunity employer. This business is owned by a member of the LGBTQ+ community.