Ely Outfitting Company Policies - Deposits, Cancellations and Liability Release
OUR #1 POLICY
Do our best to ensure you have a successful Boundary Waters canoe trip with your friends and family.
Deposit for Outfitting or Guide Services: A deposit of $100 per group is required for canoe and equipment rentals, partial outfitting packages, and professionally guided day trips. A deposit of $100 per person is required for complete outfitting packages and professionally guided camping trips. Dorothy Molter Experience, Women in Wilderness, and Layne Kennedy Photo Workshop guided group trips require a deposit payment of half the trip price.
Deposit for BWCAW Permit: BWCAW entry permit fees are $16 per adult per trip and $8 per youth per trip. BWCAW permit fees paid when reserving the permit are: (1) the total permit fees for the permit holder and up to three alternate permit holders (or a minimum fee of $32), plus (2) a nonrefundable $6 USFS reservation fee (per permit), plus (3) a nonrefundable $10 permit acquisition fee (per permit) when Ely Outfitting Company reserves your entry permit.
Deposits paid are deducted from the total amount due on your final trip invoice.
CANCELLATIONS AND EARLY RETURNS
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
Our standard cancellation policy is generous. We are making it even more generous for trips cancelled due to COVID-19. We are waiving all outfitting and guide service deposit cancellation fees. We encourage guests to maintain the full amount of their deposit as a credit for a future trip. However, we will refund the full outfitting deposit upon request. We know these are challenging and uncertain times and want to be as understanding as possible while helping you plan a Boundary Waters adventure.
- Cancellations more than 30 days before a trip start date
- All cancellations (self-guided and professionally guided) more than 30 days before a trip start date are refunded deposits, less a $50 service fee and any nonrefundable permit fees.
- Cancellations less than 30 days before a trip start date
- For self-guided trips, cancellations less than 30 days before a trip start date are refunded deposits, less a $100 service fee and any nonrefundable permit fees.
- For professionally guided trips, no refund of deposits will be paid on cancellations less than 30 days before a trip start date. This policy reflects the significant burden of last-minute cancellations on professional guide staff.
- Bunkhouse reservations have a $50 cancellation fee. If we are able to re-book the bunkhouse for your scheduled stay, then there is no bunkhouse cancellation fee.
- No refunds or credits are provided for late arrivals or early returns.
- Dorothy Molter Experience, Women in Wilderness, and Layne Kennedy Photo Workshop guided group trip deposits are not refundable and not transferable to a different year due to the extremely limited group sizes. We suggest considering independent travel insurance due to the nonrefundable nature of these deposits. Final nonrefundable payment is due 30 days before the trip.
Complete Outfitting and Partial Outfitting Package rates are significantly discounted and reflect the nature of shared camping equipment in the packages. Therefore, to obtain package pricing, the entire group must be outfitted with the package to receive the discounted package pricing. Solo travelers add 15% to outfitting package rates (except the fishing pole package). For outfitting packages that include a canoe, parties are typically outfitted with two-seat and three-seat canoes. Guests may request one solo canoe per outfitting package group at no extra charge. If more than one solo canoe is requested, each additional solo canoe adds $10 per solo canoe per day.
Payment in full is due before trip departure. We accept cash in US dollars, checks, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
All guests must sign a Liability Waiver and Trip Participation Agreement.
As a contemporary outfitter, we welcome and encourage guests of all backgrounds and abilities.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. This institution is an equal opportunity employer. This business is owned by a member of the LGBTQ community.