1. Large portions of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) are now closed to visitor use, due to the Pagami Creek fire which has been exhibiting extreme fire behavior and fire spread. There are not enough public safety personnel to provide safe passage if the public continues to access the wilderness.
All Entry points are closed except for :
Entry points along the Echo Trail (including Mudro);
#25 Moose Lake (travel allowed only up the chain and to the west);
#26 Wood Lake
#24 Fall Lake
The whole Trout Lake Section;
# 42 Brule-Only ;
#54A Seagull Only;
# 55A Saganaga Only; and
Vento section (the small separate section northeast of the Gunflint Trail)
2. Weather will continue to be a factor in fire spread for the next two days (high winds). Winds are currently from the west at 16 mph with gusts to 28.
3. Safety is of the highest concern and there have been no injuries. There has been no loss of structure.
4. There will be a Community meeting 7 PM tonight at the Vermillion Community College Theater.
5. We are very grateful to the communities from the East Range Coalition Fire Departments and local residents who have made equipment available to aide in local fire-fighting efforts. Thank you!
6. Public Meetings:
a. Gunflint Trail Poplar Lake Fire Hall 11 a.m. Wednesday, September 14, 2011
b. Gunflint Ranger District Office 7 p.m., Tuesday, September 13, 2011
c. Kawishiwi Ranger District Office 7 p.m., Tuesday, September 13, 2011
7. Under Unified Command with Lake County and Cook County Sheriff’s Offices